A variety of vegetables, raw and roasted, plus protein-packed quinoa and garbanzo beans makes this bowl a flavorful feast that won't be boring. The extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice combo make for a light accent to bring out the bright flavors in the vegetables. Not to mention the benefit of the fats in the oil making it easier to absorb the micronutrients in the veggies!
Another great aspect of this bowl is that every ingredient is prepared so simply that it's easy to translate these techniques to other bowls, and experiment with different combinations.
1 Sweet Potato
1/2 Fennel Bulb
1/2 Cup Quinoa (dry)
1 Can Garbanzo Beans
1/2 Bundle of Kale
1 Bundle Broccolini
3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Optional: Parsley for garnish on sweet potatoes.
Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Cut the sweet potato into four quadrants.
3. Slice each quadrant into 1/4 inch strips, trying to get each strip as equal as possible.
4. Toss strips with 1 Tbsp. EVOO.
5. Spread evenly on baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, tossing halfway through, or until golden.
Roasted Beets + Fennel
This can be made in the oven at the same time as the Sweet Potato fries.
1. Set oven to 400F.
2. Cut beets into 1/2 inch cubes, trying to get each cube as equal as possible.
3. Slice fennel bulb into small strips.
4. Toss beets + fennel with 1 Tbsp. EVOO.
5. Spread evenly on baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, tossing halfway through, or until beets are tender.
1. Place 1/2 cup dry quinoa & 1 cup water into sauce pot.
2. Bring to a boil, then set on lowest setting and cover for 20 minutes, or until standalone with no moisture at the bottom of the pot.
3. Let steam covered for at least 10 more minutes.
1. Slice raw kale into thin strips.
2. Chop off the stems of the broccolini and separate stalks into bite-size flowers.
3. Heat garbanzo beans on the stove and drain.
4. Assemble bowl with all ingredients. Drizzle 1/2 Tbsp. EVOO and squeeze half a lemon on each bowl.
5. Optional: Sprinkle Parsley on Roasted Sweet Potato Fries, plus salt and pepper to taste.