Summer is a time for fresh produce, sunshine, and backyard gatherings.
The dryness and the heat that Summer brings can make us feel dehydrated, lethargic, and overwhelmed. Luckily, there are simple tweaks we can do to our diet during this time of year to help us feel more balanced and light.
The general rule of thumb to eat optimally in Summer is to focus on eating raw, cooling foods.
Benefits to Eating Raw:
- More enzymes and phytonutrients remain intact.
- Easier to absorb the nutrients. There are some exceptions, but generally true.
- More water content. Helpful in the heat and sun when we tend to get more dehydrated. Many nutrients get lost in the water during the cooking process, so by eating raw you keep it all in!
Benefits to Eating Cooling Foods:
- Cools the body from the inside out.
- Helps to keep the body feeling light. Everybody wants that!
Here is one of my favorite Summer salads to bring to an outdoor gathering.
Summer Solstice Salad
1/2 Small Seedless Watermelon (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
3 Heirloom Tomatoes (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil (chopped finely)
1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste.
Top with a sprinkle of Feta Cheese.
Gently toss all ingredients together, and boom you're done! Another benefit of eating raw foods, simple and quick to make :)